Friday, August 29, 2014

BYU at UConn Postgame Reaction

I don't really have much to add to my pregame prediction: it was pretty spot on (for the first time ever).  BYU was very good at times.  UConn was bad most of the time.  I've heard one phrase this week that I have to laugh at: UConn is rebuilding.  Sorry, UConn is building: they've never been good.  Now, a couple of thoughts:

First, the OL did a pretty solid job, considering 2 freshmen started.  They weren't great opening holes in the middle in the running game, but Anae was able to work around that with the triple option look, getting guys outside/in space.  There were quite a few penalties on the group but I'll call a spade a spade: a lot of the refs calls tonight were questionable, on both sides.  For a line that was all over the place in spring and fall camp, I think they performed reasonably well against one of the bigger defensive fronts they will see this year.

Second, Zac Stout was fantastic.  He attacked in the middle.  He took on blockers, he made tackles, he was a disruptive force.  If he can stay healthy, he's going to have a great year.  I think the middle linebackers played well for most of the game.  They helped the front 7 pretty well control the line of scrimmage.  UConn tried to run the ball, and they had a little bit of success late in the 2nd Q and early in the 3rd, but couldn't maintain it.

Third, the first half, the pass rush didn't quite get there.  In the second half, Bronco brought a lot more pressure, particularly from the secondary, but also from the MLBs.  As a result, the "normal" pass rushers also managed to break through.  I think that's something BYU has to take a look at doing against Texas.  They can't afford to not get pressure for a whole half.

Fourth, I don't think there's a great WR on this team like Hoffman, but I like the group as a whole.  Guys weren't dropping passes.  They were getting open.  They were making plays, getting yards after the catch.  There isn't a go-to receiver, which may hurt in games against Texas, UCF, and Boise State, but there's also a benefit to having a couple of reliable guys.  9 guys made catches, no Ross Apo, no Devon Blackmon, no Trey Dye.  Those 3 should add something and provide some additional depth and play-making ability in the coming weeks and months.  Jordan Leslie is a great blocker, I'd like to see what he can do as a pass catcher.  TEs were non-existent: Devin Mahina had one catch.

Fifth, the secondary was very good.  They made plays on the ball, had big hits, tackled well in space, and covered well.  With two starters out, they did that.  Yes, UConn had 284 yards passing, but it took 48 passes to get there.  Additionally, when the game was on the line, they performed well.  BYU only gave up 95 passing yards in the first half when the outcome was still in question and they defended well in the red zone in the 4th quarter.

I think it's a team that's going to get better.  A lot of the first half penalties I don't blame BYU, the refs were ridiculous.  In the 2nd half, the penalties were all earned and stupid.  The running game will get better with Jamaal Williams back.  I don't think BYU really committed to running the football tonight in his absence like they otherwise would have.  It will be interesting to see how much they commit to it against a bigger, faster, stronger, better coached Texas front 7 next week.

I'm sure we'll see games where the passing attack does more, but Taysom was on, the OL protected well, the WRs caught balls.  I think BYU will get better, they will get challenged at Texas next week in a way they weren't tonight.  I applaud BYU for being willing to play on the road against a mediocre (but still a step above FCS) team.  I think we learned a heck of a lot more about BYU than if we had hosted Idaho State and blown them out in week one.

In other notes: UTSA demolished Houston tonight.  My model originally had them winning at Houston, but after some tweaks I made, it moved them to a 0.5-point underdog.  The model had them winning every other game on the schedule.  I said to pay attention to them this year, but now I say: really watch out for them!  They host Arizona next week and play at OK State the week after that.  It's an impressive early schedule and I thought they were an impressive team tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment