Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday Waffle, 10/3/2012

Sorry, been studying for finals all day, so this is coming out late.  Also, I'm just taking a break, so my usual internal editor is probably at a bit of a low.

I know a lot of fans are over Riley Nelson.  Clearly, my brother is also excited that Alisa is out of the way so the other backs can get some carries finally.  However, what I'm waffling on this week is the fact that so many young and inexperienced players are taking the field against Utah State this Friday night.  This is a rivalry game for Utah State.  They would love nothing more than to march into LES and whip the Cougars.  The last two games have shown that: BYU needed a miraculous comeback to win at home last year and the Aggies sealed the deal in Logan two years early in the 3rd Q.

BYU will be playing two TEs that haven't seen thijs type of action, a RB and QB who have no idea what they're going to see and feel tomorrow, and a WR who knows exactly what to expect tomorrow after being "targeted" last year.  Oh, not to mention the fact that I have even less confidence in BYU's OL right now than I did in Utah's week two when they got owned by the Aggie D.

Yes, Jamaal Williams looked great last week.  But he didn't experience any adversity.  He didn't get hit hard.  He never turned the ball over or was tackled for a loss (or hit as he is taking the handoff).  How will he respond to that?  Taysom Hill saw A LITTLE pressure, but he he had time and open receivers to throw to.  There were huge running lanes for him too.  Can he do it with tighter windows and more punishing hits on QB Draws?  Apo is not going to be as fearless going over the middle after the hit he took last year.  I have no idea what to expect from Friel/Mahina: the Aggie LBs and SS/FS are tough dudes.  Can they block them in the run game?  Can they get yards after the catch?

I just don't feel comfortable with so many young players going into this game.  I'd like to see Zed Mendenhall and David Foote see some time in the backfield, especially in the first half.  I'd like to see a deep ball or two early in the game to Hoffman to loosen things up.  I just want to see some experienced players set the tone early and be a calming influence.  I'm waffling on the wisdom of BYU's inexperience this week.  I'm also waffling on my Accounting and Organizational Behavior grades with these finals tomorrow...and tomorrow night I'll be waffling on Ethics and Stats grades!

No comments:

Post a Comment