Monday, October 1, 2012

Never Too Late: Hawaii-BYU Recap...kind of

What I learned from watching BYU dismantle an overmatched Hawaii team: BYU coaches suck at identifying key personnel.  Taysom Hill and Jamaal Williams came in for injured starters Riley Nelson and Michael Alisa and outperformed anything BYU got from the two starters.  The newly aligned O-Line didn't play phenomenal, but the two new starters were a pretty obvious step-up from the two guys that got benched.  [One might argue it was a step down in quality of play against an under-manned Hawaii team, but what Hawaii put out there was better than what Weber State brought to the mix.]

Even Paul Lasike, converted Rugby player, looked like Alisa but faster and stronger.  His run after catch on 3rd and forever makes one wonder what would have happened against Boise State or Utah if he had been the recipient of the ball in open space two or three times.  Hill and Williams explosive plays could have been useful in the first half against Utah or Boise State, when the offense was completely stagnant/utterly useless.  I am not saying that Hill or Jamaal should have replaced Riley or Alisa as starters, but giving Hill 10-12 snaps a game isn't that bad of an idea.  Giving an extra 3-5 carries to Williams wouldn't have killed Alisa.  And Taysom Hill can actually find Ross Apo for positive plays.

Anyway, that's my main takeaway.  BYU had some very talented offensive players sitting on the bench watching while BYU lost games that it could (or even should) have won.  Even defensively, I thought there were a lot of good things happening when back-ups got some time on the field.  Alani Fua, Simote Vea, and Bronson Kaufusi played well.  Kaufusi didn't make any plays that I recall but I saw him beating his blockers on a play or two as well as demanding a double-team from the back once or twice.  Yet he only sees a few plays a game.  Increasing his reps to 10, 15, or even 20 plays a game isn't going to wear him out.

There is more talent on this team than I thought coming into the season, and the schedule has been easier to this point (Boise and Utah are clearly not as good as I thought they would be), yet the record is worse.  Get those guys on the field!  And use the ones that are on the field better!  Apo was only thrown to once during the Utah game and was targeted only twice at Boise State.  He needs to be an asset, if for no other reason than to open the field up for the TEs and Hoffman (or Lasike coming out of the backfield).  Also, I suspect we'll see more Mendenhall, Pritchard, and Lasike in the game this week, since Jamaal Williams can't pass block like Alisa.  I think Pritchard could use a carry or two for his efforts!  I'll admit it, I'm all for spreading the wealth around.  BYU is much better when 10 people touch the ball in a game anyway.

2 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on the blackout uniform - I personally think they are very good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually reserve judgment until I see them on the field (and how teams play when they go nuts with their uniforms!), but I think they definitely have the potential to be pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete