Sunday, October 26, 2008

How did I do?

Well, let's have a look at what my picks were compared with the actual scores:

Predicted: Texas Tech over Kansas, 52-42
Actual: 63-21, I guess I expected a little too much out of Kansas
Predicted: Northwestern over Indiana 31-13
Actual: 19-21, come on Wildcats, are you serious, Indiana? Break my heart. Again.
Predicted: Illinois over Wisconsin 27-9
Actual: 17-27, I even wore my Illini sweatshirt on Saturday, I guess it didn't help, or maybe I jinxed them.
Predicted: Oklahoma over Kansas State 52-17
Actual: 58-35, not too shabby of a prediction.
Predicted: Baylor over Nebraska 28-17
Actual: 20-32, why did I even pick this game, anyway?
Predicted: UCLA over Cal 24-21
Actual: 20-41, pretty close on the UCLA score, I thought the defense was supposed to be UCLA's strength? I tried to pick an upset and uckla let me down. What a disappointing season!
Predicted: Notre Dame over Washington 31-20
Actual: 33-7, 124 yards? I swear UW went to a Rose Bowl in this decade, what happened to them? Oh wait, I know that one. A coach that cheats followed by a coach that is a "real nice guy." That's AD speak for bad coach, if you didn't know.
Predicted: Michigan State over Michigan, 42-20
Actual: 35-21, as I predicted, sad time for Michigan fans, now they have to win out just to make a bowl game. That last game against Ohio State means enjoy the holidays with your family, Maize and Blue. I'd love to feel bad for you but I hate your coach and you haven't had a real good team in a real long time.
Predicted: Navy or SMU 35-28
Actual: 34-7, I guess I ought to take in to account the weather conditions. I knew they wouldn't mess up Navy (who didn't even ATTEMPT a pass) and totally slowed down SMU who had less than 18 minutes in time of possession. I don't think I have EVER seen TOP that lop-sided.
Predicted: TCU over Wyoming 38-7
Actual: 54-7, but it was 38-7 going in to the 4th, I was feeling real good about my pick, until I saw TCU bring their starters back out the first play of the 4th quarter. Why? Give the kids a rest! Plus it would make me look better in front of my [very small] fan-base.
Predicted: Missouri over Colorado 45-14
Actual: 58-0, living in Colorado, I guess I gave the Buffs too much credit. I knew their offense was bad, but ZERO points against MISSOURI? I was pretty close on the total points scored, however.
Predicted: Alabama over Tennessee 27-20
Actual: 29-9, should I send my resume out to Rocky Top?
Predicted: USC over Arizona 24-21
Actual: 17-10, excuse me, Mr. Perfect. I forgot you never, ever make a mistake. If Arizona had ANY offense that game would have gone to OT tied at 17-17, making my pick look even better.
Predicted: Tulsa over UCF 56-20
Actual: 49-19, I'm going to call that one a pretty stinking good prediction.
Predicted: Texas over OK State 45-38
Actual: 28-24, I got the winner and the number of scores dividing them right. Who knew there would be some defense played?
Predicted: Georgia over LSU 27-21
Actual: 52-38, did anybody predict 90 points scored between these two? I'll just be glad I picked LSU to lose at home, not too many people went out on that limb.
Predicted: Ohio State over Penn State 35-17
Actual: 6-13, I guess I gave the Big 10 offenses a little too much credit. Ohio State looked as predictable as ever, the difference is: Penn State, much like USC, scouted them well enough to notice. In talking with an Ohio State fan at work this week, he told me he hates the way Tressel coaches in the 4th with a lead: let's just run it 3 times, punt (or fumble as the case may be), and let our defense handle the high-pressure situation of trying to maintain a slight lead. I'll enjoy the conversation with him tomorrow morning! Really, I thought Penn State would win this game until I heard Kirk Herbstreit say this week that Penn State was going to play for the National Championship. I let my complete lack of faith in ANY of his predictions cloud my judgment. From now on, I will just avoid hearing what he says.
Predicted: BYU over UNLV 38-14
Actual: 42-35, I guess BYU left their defense in...well, definitely not in Fort Worth...where did they leave it? On the plane to Dallas, perhaps? Maybe TCU just showed the rest of the league how to beat BYU: patiently go down field 5 yards at a time, mixing in a little wildcat formation. Omar Clayton worked it to perfection most of the game, except he was a little too patient on the second-to-last play where he got sacked, forcing them into that hail mary situation.

Well, after that stellar analysis of my picks, I will let you decide how credible my claim is that I know sports. I'll get my new rankings up tomorrow. The SOS element will be applied to the rankings and it caused a little shifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment