Monday, November 2, 2009

MWC Preseason Prediction

I said:
TCU
BYU
Air Force
Utah
New Mexico
Colorado State
UNLV
Wyoming
San Diego State

I thought TCU was the class of the league: they clearly are. I would be shocked if anybody finishes closer than 2 TDs to them down the stretch, including Utah. Of course the others are SDSU, Wyoming, and New Mexico
I figured BYU would lose to TCU but be able to win the rest of their conference games. I think they probably lose to Utah and finish third (or tied for 2nd if Utah slips up elsewhere which I don't think they will at this point).
I really thought Air Force could beat Utah (and they nearly did), but losing that game probably puts them at a 4th place finish. Another solid season for the Falcons though.
I believed that Utah would struggle offensively and it would cost them either against Air Force, CSU, or both. It nearly cost them in both, but the D managed to do enough to win, so it ultimately cost them in neither.
New Mexico was the team I thought I was most likely wrong about. I was. Dead wrong. Not only have they not won a single game, but they haven't even been competitive in 6 of the 8 games.
Colorado State figured to struggle a bit. I didn't anticipate an 0-5 start in conference, however. They still get UNLV, New Mexico, and Wyoming, where I think they go 2-1.
UNLV: I said they were overhyped. They currently sit at 7th where I had them. 2 of the last 3 are "winnable" games for them, but I think 1-2 is probably about right to finish out: 4-8 and searching for a new coach. Hey, Rebels, I'm available.
Wyoming has been a surprise. The D has been good and the O has cut down on the number of turnovers. However, critical situation turnovers have doomed them in several games this season. They sit at 6th now but still have BYU and TCU on the schedule, plus road games at an improved SDSU and the Border War at CSU. Let's see how they handle the acronym schools.
San Diego State has been the most pleasant surprise to this point, record-wise. However, they still have 2 of the Big Three left and a road game at UNLV after a demoralizing trip to Utah.

Updated predictions:
TCU
Utah
BYU
Air Force
Wyoming
San Diego State
Colorado State
UNLV
New Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment