Sunday, September 13, 2009

Week 2 recap, rankings, MWC report, etc.

Well, I would just like to say: I stand by my performance on picking this week. Nobody gave Ohio State a chance: they lost, but it was close like I said it would be. I totally missed on ND-Michigan, UConn-UNC, Iowa-Iowa State, and UCLA-Tennessee. Wyoming played solid D for the first half and then their noble effort fell a little short. Okie State and Houston played a high-scoring game, I just had the wrong team winning it. TCU crushed Virginia (they were ahead 30-0 with 5 minutes left before Virginia scored 2 late TDs to make it LOOK respectable). UW beat Idaho 42-23, I had 41-13. WVU beat ECU 35-20, I had 31-20. Georgia had an offensive explosion, like I said (I just thought that was 13 points instead of 41). A late fumble by Air Force in Minnesota territory ended a drive that could have tied the score at 20 and sent it into OT (I had AFA winning in OT 23-20). Kansas blew out UTEP 34-7. I had Oregon beating Purdue 38-31, if not for a late Purdue TD and failed two-point conversion, it would have ended 38-30, instead it was 38-36. I had Oregon State winning a close one over UNLV 27-17, it was 23-21. Utah beat SJSU 24-14, I had 24-17. I stand by that performance and wanted to point it out...

The MWC got the 5 wins they should have gotten, and lost all the other games. UNLV nearly pulled off the upset over Oregon State: a field goal in the waning seconds gave Oregon State the lead and the win. Air Force had a chance to tie the game late at Minnesota. Wyoming played Texas TOUGH for a half (they led 10-6 before Texas rattled off 35 unanswered at the end of the first half and the second half). New Mexico was the only complete embarrassment for the conference. It wasn't a bad week for the conference, it just wasn't a great one. Next week, the stakes just get higher: Wyoming goes to reeling CU, Utah heads to Autzen stadium to take on the resurgent Oregon Ducks, CSU hosts WAC pretender Nevada, MWC bottom-feeder SDSU plays WAC bottom-feeder Idaho in the week's biggest pillowfight, the Florida State Seminoles head to Provo to take on BYU, TCU takes on a I-AA opponent, and UNLV hosts Hawaii (who just demolished Washington State 38-20, though it was 35-0 at one point). I think 5-2 is what the conference needs to continue showing ON THE FIELD that they deserve a BCS bid. At an initial glance, I think the conference will probably go 3-4 but I'd have to look at it more closely before making any final predictions.

The rankings:

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Utah
4. USC
5. TCU
6. Boise State
7. Nebraska
8. Alabama
9. Penn State
10. Mississippi
11. Cincinatti
12. Missouri
13. California
14. Tulsa
15. BYU
16. LSU
17. Texas Tech
18. Oregon State
19. Iowa
20. Kansas
21. Arizona
22. Kentucky
23. Wisconsin
24. West Virginia
25. Miami
26. Northwestern
27. Pittsburgh
28. Georgia Tech
29. Colorado State
30. Minnesota
31. Houston
32. Baylor
33. South Florida
34. Michigan
35. North Carolina
36. Boston College
37. Auburn
38. Southern Mississippi
39. Texas A&M
40. UCLA
41. SMU
42. Indiana
43. Louisiana-Lafayette
44. Hawaii

Exits this week (those who are no longer above .500): Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Connecticut, Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan State, South Carolina, Buffalo, UAB, North Texas, Air Force, East Carolina, Bowling Green, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Stanford, Army, Idaho, and Fresno State.

New entries this week (those over .500 that didn't play a I-AA opponent this week): SMU, Indiana, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment