Sunday, November 2, 2008

Keeping Mo Honest

I stand by my performance on picks this weekend. Let's look at how the games went:

Northwestern over Minnesota 24-17 (Mo's pick 28-17, accuracy rating, very high): while Minnesota's top receiver was hurt for most of the second half, they still didn't look like a very good squad, especially when you consider that Northwestern's starting tailback AND quarterback didn't play AT ALL.
West Virginia over Connecticut 35-13 (Mo's pick 35-20, accuracy rating, ridiculously close): West Virginia's offense didn't overly impress from a yardage standpoint, but they did punch it in when the defense got turnovers (which happened VERY often). Oh, and there is a ranked Big East team or two, so I did miss in that regard.
CMU over Indiana 37-34 (Mo's pick 31-17, accuracy rating, close enough for government work, especially in Nancy Pelosi's government): didn't see this game or highlights, no comments.
Purdue over Michigan 48-42 (Mo's pick Michigan 28, Purdue 6, accuracy rating, unmeasurable, like my cholesterol level): I am glad Purdue finally benched four-year starter waste of space (and all-time leading passer in Purdue history) Curtis Painter for a QB that can actually score points. Of course, it made my pick look idiotic but it's always nice to see Rafe's Boilermakers do something right. Michigan eliminated from bowl eligibility.
Arkansas over Tulsa 30-23 (Mo's pick Tulsa 42, Ark 21, accuracy rating, poor, like Tulsa's fourth down conversion rate when the game is on the line): I hate that Tulsa lost this game from a respect standpoint. Herbie and Corso said they couldn't handle SEC speed, even if it was "only" Arkansas. It just validates the belief that the non-BCS is full of Hawaii's and that the Boise States are just flukes.
Wyoming over SDSU 35-10 (Mo's pick 38-35, accuracy rating, who cares about this game): props to the Wyoming defense and running game.
Texas A&M over CU 24-17 (Mo's pick 28-12, accuracy rating, pretty darn good considering the inconsistency of the two teams involved): will Colorado ever be good again?
Pittsburgh over Notre Dame 36-33 (Mo's pick ND 34, Pitt 28, accuracy rating, overrated, like ND's home-field advantage): when this game went in to overtime knotted at 24 I was feeling good about my pick. When it went in to the 4th OT at 33's, I thought, man I wasted a lot of time watching this horrible, horrible game. 4 OT's, NO TDs! I gained no respect for either coach as a result of this pillow fight and stand firm in my position: they both stink.
Utah State over Hawaii 30-14 (Mo's pick 28-24, accuracy rating, better than I thought it would be): Hawaii failed to score in the red zone TWICE in the 4th quarter that would have made my pick look better. Utah State is moving in the right direction (finally), I hope they have the sense to keep their coach (not likely) and let him complete the turnaround (just another two years away). They may only be 2-7, but their last 3 or 4 games have been somewhat competitive, which is better than previous years and better than when Brent Guy arrived.
Cal over Oregon 26-16 (Mo's pick Oregon 35, Cal 27, accuracy rating, at least I haven't been living in a tree for a year to protect it from being torn down so they could build a parking lot): who would win in a wrestling match, Biden or Obama? Who cares? Exactly, they are both ultra-liberal good-for-nothings. Sounds like an Oregon-Cal game to me.
Georgia Tech over Florida State 31-28 (Mo's pick 17-14, accuracy rating, nailed the point spread): I didn't expect this offensive "explosion" from either team but was glad to see the triple option team beat the we've-had-no-offensive-identity-since-the-Reagan-administration team.
Illinois over Iowa 27-24 (Mo's pick Iowa 31, Illinois 23, accuracy rating, Drew, can I get my Illini sweatshirt back from your car?): I had the wrong winner, but I get tired of putting any faith in Illinois. Once you let them get your hopes up, they bring them crashing down. I guess Iowa fans have been dealing with that each season under Ferentz though. I'm a Cubs fan, I should just deal with crushed dreams like I've been doing the last 100 years, go Illini! Let the dream-crushing begin.
Boise State over New Mexico State 49-0 (Mo's pick 38-10, accuracy rating, who lays down like that at home against a top-10 team? Wazu fans need not answer): didn't see any highlights but I would like to say: wow! I think the AP poll got it right this week putting the Broncos over the Utes.
USC over Washington 56-0 (Mo's pick 49-7, accuracy rating, better than Mark Sanchez' completion %): I hate that games like this take up one of my channels on Saturday. There were some games decided by less than 8 TDs I would rather have seen that got no coverage at all.
South Carolina over Tennessee 27-6 (Mo's pick 20-14, accuracy rating, Tennessee stinks): Commentary: see accuracy rating.
Oklahoma over Nebraska 62-28 (Mo's pick 58-27, accuracy rating, fantabulous): 28 points before the 1st quarter was half over? 49 points at halftime? I thought Nebraska hired Bo Pelini so there wouldn't be more embarrassing losses like this? The best part about this game: nobody left early. They all stayed after the game to watch the Texas-Texas Tech ending on the jumbo-tron.
TCU over UNLV 44-14 (Mo's pick 38-27, accuracy rating, I'll hold off on hitting the slots, but maybe a little blackjack): a well-oiled machine moves in to Salt Lake this Thursday. For the Utes' sake, I hope they have been holding back. If they play like they did against Michigan, Air Force, Oregon State, and New Mexico, they are going to get "Cougar-ed" by TCU. To be cougared means to be decimated in every aspect of the game on national television on a Thursday night by a superior opponent whose mascot is a horny toad.
Florida over Georgia 49-10 (Mo's pick 38-21, accuracy rating, did anybody besides blue-and-orange-goggled Gator fans predict a 39-point victory?): I thought Georgia would get blown out, but I thought 17 points was generous. We learned something about pretenders in this game. Georgia has played 3 good teams this season and hasn't held a single one of them to less than 38 points. Isn't this supposed to be one of the vaunted SEC defenses? Sounds like it's only an awesome defense when it plays a horrible offense/most of the SEC.
BYU over CSU 45-42 (Mo's pick 35-24, accuracy rating, awesome if BYU's offense would stick to scoring for their own team): well BYU sure decided to make this game interesting. The defense played great, especially considering what happened to their secondary this week: the second string CB left the program and during the game a starter and the back-up got hurt forcing last week's scout team MVP into action, and a starting safety and his back-up didn't even make the trip, so 2 guys not even on the depth chart a week or two ago saw SIGNIFICANT minutes this game. They only gave up 3 scoring DRIVES and one big play TD. Now the offense gift-wrapping 2 TDs was a little unexpected, but at least they dropped 45 to make up for it. CSU did exactly what I said they should: pick on Brandon Howard. He had a few pass break-ups during the game, which he celebrated like he made a game-sealing interception in the Super Bowl, but in the end I would pin a fair portion of the 270 passing yards on his area of the zone (or his area under the umbrella in BYU's case).
Utah over New Mexico 13-10 (Mo's pick New Mexico 28, Utah 23, accuracy rating, a lot higher than a pass to Freddie Brown in the corner of the end zone): well I stand corrected: Louie Sakoda can carry Utah a little further still. Utah was 2 for 4 in the red zone with a TD and a field goal, which I thought would finally catch up to them this week. Fortunately for them, New Mexico stinks on offense, and their QB has never run a two-minute drill, as was readily apparent by the fact that they simply ran out of time just 15-20 yards short of game-tying field goal range. One thing is for sure: the Utes will need more than 13 points against TCU, whose defense is bigger, better, faster than New Mexico's, if they want to win. But they have a tendency to get up for the big games so it should be interesting. TCU will have to play like they did against BYU: hungry, fast, and disciplined. Utah will have to play like they did against...Utah State? That's the only game that they played well in all facets of the game for four complete quarters.

If you can find some way to average out my highly precise accuracy ratings, let me know. I would say if you can do that it should end up somewhere in the very good to "I won't ever have to worry about putting gas in my car or paying my mortgage again if Obama wins this election" area. Did anybody else catch that interview? Promise everything to everyone=win an election. He's got the Armenian vote since he pledged to be the first president to recognize the Turkish genocide of Armenians since World War II (consequently, Clinton made this same pledge/lie). So, who is going to put gas in your car or pay your mortgage? The millionaire whose own extended family either lives in the slums or just got evicted from the slums who donates less than 1% of his income to "help the poor"/help ACORN make sure your dead grandmother has a right to vote...twice? No, he'll take money from those other "corrupt" and "evil" quarter-millionaires who donate 10-20% of their income to charitable institutions that actually help the poor (and whose wives have always been proud to be an American), even the poor who cling to guns and religion.

2 comments:

  1. Mo knows politics too? Good job on the picks...is this the first time you've reported on them after the weekend? Is that because this is the first time your picks were somewhat decent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually reported on my picks last week and once earlier on in the season. And Mo doesn't know politics, but he recognizes BS when he sees it. I like Obama's health care plan, kind of, I just don't see how he can lower health care costs at the same time he is: raising taxes on hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, research institutions, and insurance companies AND doctors, dentists, orthodontists, executives, and anyone else working for the aforementioned companies who makes over $200k. Maybe someone else can explain to me how that LOWERS the cost of health care. I just look at how his policies interconnect and see total garbage.

    ReplyDelete