Saturday, November 22, 2008

I have got to leave soon so these will be quick.

Ohio State over Michigan 38-17.
Wyoming over CSU 28-27.
Washington over Washington State in the most meaningful game of the day 38-35, I heard Rafe is going to be watching this one intently.
Cal over Stanford 27-17.
LSU over Ole Miss 35-27.
Boston College over Wake Forest 34-14.
TCU over Air Force 34-27.
Northwestern over Illinois 45-31.
Boise State over Nevada 45-28.
Iowa over Minnesota 27-21.

Big games:
Penn State over Michigan State 38-13
Arizona over Oregon State (USC breathes a sigh of relief) 28-27.
Pittsburgh over Cincinnati 35-28.
Florida State over Maryland 20-16.
Oklahoma over Texas Tech 49-44.
BYU vs. Utah:
One more piece of analysis, then my pick: after watching Utah all year and watching last season's game last night on the Mtn (thanks Mtn for providing me with all-access to all-things Mountain West, sorry you can't help Rafe out, but I'm good with you), I've determined why I think their offense struggles at times. As soon as they cross the 50, or get their 3rd first down of a drive, they run a trick play: if it works, they score, if it doesn't, they punt.
Utah always plays this rivalry game with more passion, which leads to mistakes early in the game. BYU plays even-keeled (as always) and they kind of get knocked back by Utah's passion and intensity. By the second half they usually both settle in: Utah cuts down on mistakes, and BYU gets a little more excited. BYU did show some passion last week in the second half, maybe that will carry over...
I am making my pick based on Whit vs. Bronco head-to-head b/c there is no way to predict which Utah offense shows up, or which BYU defense shows up, or if Utah's D will suffocate BYU's O like TCU, or if BYU's O will move the ball like they have in 10 games this year and as Utah has allowed a couple of times this season.
When BYU is a better team, they win CLOSE (or "on a miracle at the end" as my wife says). When the teams are even, Utah wins in OT. When Utah is better, well, this is the first year they have had the better team under these coaches, so there isn't history there. But you can imagine where this is headed. When the game is at Utah, there will be points scored, that seems to be the trend.
I want to say BYU brings their A game, but I think they bring their B+ game. I'd like to say Utah brings their C game, but I think they bring their A- team for half the game, and their B- for the other half. Unfortunately, that will probably be enough to win this one. I still hold out hope for BYU, and I still think they could easily win by 21, but they could also just as easily lose by 21. I don't think they can win another close game though. I'm predicting a 34-31 win for:

The University of Utah. As much as it pains me to say it, and I really hope I am wrong. Go Cougars. And Cougar fans: nothing good FOR BYU comes from Utah going to a BCS game. In 2006, did you have more respect for Hawaii and San Jose State b/c Boise State manned up on Oklahoma? No, but those were your 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the WAC. BYU doesn't get more respect because Utah goes BCS-ing. Did BYU outrecruit Utah after the 2004 season? No, Utah was able to get better recruits, i.e. this year's senior class, which is better than BYU's for the first time in several years. It doesn't help. Do not believe that the team that hates you more than they love their team going to a BCS game helps you. It helps Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment