Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Day predictions (Happy New Year!)

Auburn played 5 teams with good spread offenses: they gave up 24, 30, 44, 21, and 31 while going 2-3 in those games. Northwestern only played 2 teams similar to Auburn's run and shoot type O, but went 2-0 (though neither of those teams is as good as Auburn). I just like Northwestern, my first D-I game was a Northwestern game back in the mid-90's with Darnell Autry. What can I say? I like my Wildcats. 38-31, Northwestern.


LSU has 3 losses this season: by 10 to Florida, by 9 to Alabama where an official blew a call that allowed a 6-point lead to grow to 9, and by 2 at Ole Miss on Senior Day. Penn State played two ranked teams and lost to both of them. I just can't take Penn State seriously until they play a non-conference road game (or at least a bowl eligible BCS conference team). I look at that schedule and say: BYU and Utah both played tougher schedules. Of BYU's 13 opponents, 4 of them will be in the top 25 at the end of the season. Utah will have 3. LSU is more battle tested and they are better anyway. Both teams sport similarly stingy defenses. It's the multiple athletes on LSU's O that will make the difference, as they can attack from all angles. If Crowton doesn't call too risky of an offensive game, they should be able to move the ball: but Crowton has screwed the pooch before...LSU 24, Penn State 13.


Florida State is not good enough to be playing in the Gator Bowl. I know it's a nice tribute to Bobby Bowden, but they aren't well enough coached to pull this one out. Talent-wise, I give the Seminoles the edge, but when you play a team like West Virginia, it's all about discipline. I don't think they have it. I don't think their D is good enough to contain West Virginia. The 3-3-5 that West Virginia sports is very confusing to read, especially when they have had a month to put in some new looks. I like Bill Stewart to outcoach Bowden in his farewell. I hate to give the Big East props, but they have a few other games to lose still. Mountaineers 45, Bowden 31 (Bobby Bowden, who built a legacy on D, plays a shootout in his final game).


I think Oregon's speed in space (if they can get there) will cause some matchup issues for Ohio State's LBs. If the Buckeyes D-line, which has been great this year, can wreak havoc in the backfield, the Buckeyes might finally get a BCS win. I like Chip Kelly. I think he's a great coach. I think he will find ways to slow down the defensive front. He'll get the matchups he wants: speedy slot receivers against the talented, big, but slower OLBs from Ohio State. Ohio State's offense, to me, has been too schizophrenic this year to be taken seriously. The Buckeyes are a power running, play-action bomb offense without a power back and with a mobile, strong-armed but non-pocket passing QB. Great personnel, just not a great fit, and Tressel hasn't figured out how to master it. Barring a rainy day, I think Ohio State walks away empty-handed again. Oregon 37, Ohio State 28.


Tebow's last game. HE will be motivated. His team might not be. He will find a way to motivate the troops, however, to go out a winner. I hope he goes out a winner. I can say that now, because he isn't playing in the National Championship game! Had that been the case...The Cincinnati players definitely want to show Brian Kelly he was an idiot to leave them, but Florida's struggles have been with big, strong, physical rushing attacks: Tennessee, South Carolina, and Alabama. The spread offense throw it all over the place, run it wide with speedy slot receiver teams they have played: 41-7 at Kentucky, 13-3 at LSU, struggled with Arkansas 23-20, 29-19 at Mississippi State, and 37-10 against Florida State. I think Cincy comes out strong early, surprises Florida a bit with their speed on O, but they don't have enough smoke and mirrors in their depleted coaching staff's scheme to keep it up for 4 quarters. The Tebows 34, the Pikes 21. Tebow rushes and passes for 150 apiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment