Saturday, August 15, 2009

65 predictions, #19 WAC

The WAC comes in next in our predictions, as I believe the C-USA West is just slightly better and a LITTLE less bottom-light. I'd rather play San Jose State, New Mexico State, and Idaho than SMU and Tulane right now. I might be wrong...

Projected order of finish:
1: Boise State (I'm not sure if they survive undefeated though with trips to Fresno State, Hawaii, and even my surprise team in the WAC Utah State)
2: Fresno State (I think this might be a little high for them, particularly with the struggles they have had at home the past few seasons: I guess that anyone, anywhere, anytime attitude doesn't include home games)
3: Utah State (I thought last year they were a year away, maybe they were a year and a new coach: they will go bowling this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Utah-who just announced a true freshman as their starting QB- on opening night in 19 days)
4: Nevada (this is everybody's darling to knock off Boise State but they'll be out of the race long before they head to the blue turf in late November-game on ESPN2 the Friday after Thanksgiving which I would recommend checking out)
5: Louisiana Tech (everybody knew they would fall after a 2nd place finish last year: I'm pushing them down to 5th based on Utah State's phenomenal rise to the top half of the conference)
6: Hawaii (remember their undefeated run a few years ago? Neither can their fans. Let the free-fall continue for the Rainbow Warriors)
7: San Jose State (they've been stuck in idle since a bowl victory in 2006 and starting the season at USC, Utah, and at Stanford won't do much to inspire confidence they will turn it around this year)
8: Idaho (when you get down this low on the totem pole, it's tough to predict who will win the opening week pillow fight between NMSU and Idaho, but I'll give the edge to the Vandals for now since it's not their head coach's first game as the main man)
9: New Mexico State (I don't know that they'll go defeated in conference play, but I'd be absolutely shocked if they win more than 1)

1 comment:

  1. I agree this could be the year of Utah State. Guy made them much better but couldn't get over the hump. Maybe new coach can. I think it is 50/50 they can beat Utah with a starting QB that is a true freshman. How bad they must be at that position. Last time they did this was 1982.

    ReplyDelete