Friday, August 31, 2012

BYU Victory, From A CU Buff Perspective

Here is Matt Robert's thoughts on the BYU performance last night.

Well first off, congratulations on your sound victory, and a nice way to kickoff the football season! 1-0 is never a bad thing…(Matt Millen commentary was a bad thing tho!)

It was interesting to me how the game started, it seemed as though you were nervous at home (dropped INT’s passes, etc) but I think it was because the players were over-amped, and even more because Wazzou was WAY overhyped. I heard people saying WSU should be favored, they’ll win easy blah blah blah. The first possession Wazu looked competent but I had complete confidence in your D seeing as how you weren’t rushing a whole lot and weren’t allowing anything down the field. And of course you got the INT and then the game was essentially over…I was really surprised at how bad Tuell looked. He has a good crop of WRs (has one of the best in the Pac-12 last year) and a pass-friendly offense, but man he looked horrible. A lot of the credit has to be given to your D and the coaching by Bronco to keep everything in front of them and use KVN as the pressure man (really like how he plays as well). Aside from your “personal foul” drive, Wazzu didn’t do much of much, and think that’s a great sign going into the Utah game in a couple weeks. Utah didn’t really impress (even tho they won 41-0) in their win…didn’t show me anything too exciting.

I was thoroughly impressed with your coaching staff, moreso than Riley even. That decision to go to hurry-up killed WSU, and exposed that they’re not talented at all on that side of the ball. If BYU kept their foot on the gas the whole game you prolly coulda put up 40+ but no need. What I like about Nelson is how hard he plays, but he might get himself killed if he keeps it up, wasn’t sure if that’s why yall were breaking in the Fr QB as well just in case Nelson separates his shoulder or something running the ball. Nelson’s not the greatest thrower, but the way he competes should keep you in any game…that’s a good sign.

I agree with you that you have some things to work on, but really no complaints. If I told you prior to the game that you’d only allow 6 points on D to Wazzou I don’t think you would’ve believed me…
One thing tho, is your secondary and LBs need to work on their hands! Tuell was trying to throw picks all night! Haha. OL I think did well enough, 4 yards per clip isn’t really that bad, and for the most part Nelson had plenty of time to throw/run/make decisions. I like your one RB, the fast guy…and liked when you ran the option to him, could be a deadly weapon if you continue to utilize it.

Overall, I think it was more of an indictment on how bad WSU was rather than how great you are—but again no complaints because you didn’t really look bad (other than the penalties which I don’t think were your fault…tried to warn you about Pac12 refs, they’re awful!) I think you should look to run the ball better and more consistently next week in prep for Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment