Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Is it September Yet?

Any Cougar fan not amazingly excited about the start of BYU's first season of Independent Football needs to go to byutv.org and check out the Media Day coverage.  There is an information session, complete with Q&A, called State of the Program.  The panel included Dave McCann (host of BYUTV's True Blue), Tom Holmoe, Dave Brown (VP of Acquisitions at ESPN), Bronco Mendenhall, and one of the big wigs at BYUTV, whose name escapes me.
There is some other content on there, including two True Blue shows, one from Spring Football, and the other a Media Day Special.
To close it out is a Legends Roundtable with Trevor Matich, LaVell Edwards, Bryan Kehl, Ty Detmer, and others.  The replay for that only shows the last 35 minutes of the panel.  I imagine the full show will be available in its entirety some time this week.

If you weren't excited yet, go check out some of the content.  All available for free, on demand.  This was also broadcast on ESPN3.com, the only "sporting event" on tap for today.

Certainly, any doubts about the viability of Independence could be answered watching the content.  Any doubts about the future of the program, both immediate and medium-term, would also be erased.  They have a good group of players heading into this new adventure.  While I believe 2012 might be better in terms of the actual BYU team (there's still some youth in key places and the adjustment to being an Independent to worry about), there is certainly a lot of hope for the 2011 squad.

Certainly, as a fan, this was the "red meat" (or blue, I suppose) that I crave in the dog days of July, when there isn't much going on in the sporting world that is of interest to me (there's only so much MLB one can take).  I'll do my best to get my thoughts out about each of BYU's 2011 opponents over the coming three weeks, but I have a few other obligations that are preventing me from really cranking it out as I have in previous summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment