Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Moment We've All Been Waiting For

I know you have been waiting for this a long time: my 101st post. I feel so honored, there are so many people to thank. I'll start with my wife, for letting me write so much. I'll finish with my fans, all 6 of you have been so wonderful and kind to me.

Now to the goods:

The National Championship game begins tonight, around 8:15pm Eastern (sucks for you east-coasters). Florida. Oklahoma. Two teams that have consistently been at the top of the rankings these past few years, thanks to good coaching, good administrations, a rabid fan base, and some of the best football talent in the country. This game is a clash between the champion of the "best" conference in America most years and the champion of the best conference this year. It's a battle between the Heartland and the Deep South. It's a battle of Crimson and Orange. It's a battle between people who broke the rules to claim land in the name of the American Dream and a reptile that took Chubbs' hand.

I believe this game will come down to defense. Most people expect a shootout, first one to 50 wins. I think we're looking at a game in the mid-30's for the winner, high 20's for the loser. One, a month off can mess with the timing of any offense, even if you have a Heisman Trophy winner at QB (or last year's winner). Two, both defenses have had plenty of time to study personnel, formations, and playcalls of the opposing offense. While there are always new wrinkles added for a bowl game, the focus and base of the offense likely won't change (Utah is the only team I've seen this bowl season that completely changed offensive philosophy for their bowl game). Three, nerves always impact offensive players more than defensive players, since they are trying to carry, catch, or throw the ball where the defense just needs to be in the right place and hit the guy hard enough to put him on the ground.

They are both more on the blue collar side, though Florida does have a little flash to them as well. Oklahoma has the better offense, but Florida has the better defense. So what truly wins championships: offense or defense? We will find out tonight. As for me and my house (or probably just me), I think that Oklahoma comes up a little short. It is a BCS game, I'd expect nothing less from the Sooners. I think in this game, Tebow's ability to run will prove more valuable than Bradford's ability to pass.

Gators are National Champs again (unfortunately), 34-28.

Go Sooners! On a side note: I hope Bradford goes pro so BYU doesn't have to face him in Dallas next September!

1 comment: