Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Few Heisman Thoughts

I believe Sam Bradford is a great QB. I do not believe he should have been a Heisman winning QB. I think the past two years have shown: stats are all that matters. I wonder if Sam Bradford would have won IF Oklahoma hadn't have scored 60 points in 5 straight games (NCAA record).

Here's how I view the 3 finalists:
Sam Bradford is phenomenal, especially for a sophomore. But I think if you took him off of Oklahoma and replaced him with McCoy, Tebow, Graham Harrell, Zach Robinson, Max Hall, David Johnson (Tulsa), Mark Sanchez, Nate Davis (Ball State), and maybe a handful of other guys, I think you could have seen similar production in stats, and probably fairly identical results in the win column. Oklahoma is one of the two best teams in the country (with USC). They have a stable of good running backs, a corps of blue-chippers catching passes at WR and TE, and the offensive line could easily transition to the Detroit Lions and improve their team dramatically. Also, the one loss that Oklahoma had was because their offense couldn't put up points in the second half against Texas, which can, at least partially, be blamed on Bradford.
Colt McCoy was absolutely indispensable to his team. You could not take McCoy off of Texas and expect them to be ranked number 3 in the country: there isn't someone who combines athletic ability with his arm (Tebow's got the athletic ability and then some, Bradford's got the arm and then some, but no one has the combo like the Real McCoy). The ground game was pretty much non-existent, McCoy was actually the leading rusher on the team and there is no close second. His receivers were pretty darn good, but I'd take Manuel Johnson and Ryan Broyles (OU's 3rd and 4th receivers) over Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby (UT's 1st and 2nd-by the way, they don't have a third option). The offensive line was solid but it wasn't loaded with NFL talent at each position like OU and a few other teams. In Texas' one loss, McCoy led Texas to a potential game-winning touchdown with under a minute to go, it was the defense that lost it for the Longhorns.
There is only one Tim Tebow. You put any other dual threat quarterback in the country on Florida's team, and Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC title game. Florida is a great team, but Tebow is why Florida is worth watching. THIS season, however, he did a lot more handing off to the talented guys around him (you can get any service academy QB to do that). He is a great leader and is as competitive as they come. He had a good O-line, a great offense that was tailored to his strengths with a great signal caller (who won't be there next year), and 5 guys he could get the ball to in space and watch them break big plays. In Florida's lone loss, Tebow was stopped on two consecutive running plays, including a 4th and one, that ultimately cost his team the game. Granted, if they blocked better on extra points, it would have gone to OT...

If I had a vote (which I don't and never will) it would look like this:
1. Colt McCoy
2. Michael Crabtree
3. Sam Bradford
4. Tim Tebow
5. Rey Maualuga (that guy scares me to death, I'm afraid if I didn't put him on here he would hunt me down and kill me and my family, then hunt down my in-laws and extended family and anyone I work with or who has the same last name as me or anyone that might have spoken to me at some point in my life, ever)

3 comments:

  1. Also, I want to thank my loyal readers. If you do a google search for mo knows sports, I am in the top 3 (the first month it never even registered, so I'd say we're improving). I couldn't have done it without you guys. I'll try to put up things worth reading and I hope you guys keep reading. Let me know if you think I'm stupid, biased, or just plain wrong. I am really good at taking criticism, just ask my wife, she has a lot of experience witnessing it first-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! If Texas were playing for the national title, McCoy would be the heismann. Thanks Big 12 for screwing over Texas again. Too bad we can't decide on the field who's the best team/player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michael, glad to hear you're #3. Hopefully we can get you up to #1. And I agree with you on the Heisman vote.

    ReplyDelete